Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Don't Want My Child to Be a Monoglot

For years, my primary goal for learning Spanish was because I did not want my child to be a monoglot.  With all the advantages of speaking multiple languages, it would be an absolute shame for our child to know only one - especially with a bilingual individual in our household.

Advantages aside, the Spanish language is part of their heritage.  A part I want him/her to be able to identify with.  Oscar's mom and dad made quite certain that he could write extremely well in Spanish

While I know Oscar wants our child to be bilingual, I don't know if he could pull it off by himself.  I'm not sure.  A resolve may develop (but he sure has difficulty speaking to me in Spanish all the time.)  He needs me on his team!  Well, I want to be MVP.

Currently reading....

 Raising a Bilingual Child by Barbara Zurer Pearson

and

7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child  by Naomi Steiner 

2 comments:

  1. When my mom was here this weekend I noted how I am the only monolingual person in the family. Everyone speaks Spanish but Constance, who is learning (and good at) ASL. My mom replied (in Spanish, of course), "You can change that." I can write a whole book on my feelings about that. But all I will say is that I agree with you about teaching your kids Spanish because it's part of their heritage.

    By those standards, what language should we teach Caden? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can understand Spanish - so that's good!

    I've tried and failed to learn Spanish several times. I think I could, but it takes a lot of consistent time and exposure and I think I just haven't given it enough of either. When I was in Peru, I was more motivated than ever. I think if I did study abroad there, I could have maybe. The idea Oscar and I are flirting with is having him speak only to the baby in Spanish. I actually like the second book a lot better (7 steps). I got all excited about it. We'll see what level we take it to.

    Caden can be a polyglot! :) He has lots of options. There are many other good ways to relate to your heritage that don't involve language, though.

    ReplyDelete