Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, September 5, 2013

Breast is Best


UGH.  Pumping was going so well, Julianne was finally ready to try out her new tongue and then, of course, I make an amateur move.  Oscar and I were taking turns at night and I got lazy about pumping every 3 hours.  Instead of taking turns throughout the night, I would take one night, he would take the next.

Well, I ended up with mastitis.  It happened so quickly.  One moment I was feeling great, the next I had a very high fever and a plugged duct.  Last night was no fun, with my fever getting up to almost 103 degrees. I started on antibiotics today and hope to get better quickly.

So tired of this fever though and everything that comes with it: the aches, chills, shooting pain in the back of my head.  sigh.  I've been taking ibuprofen to temporarily lower the temperature so I can sleep.  Hopefully this antibiotics kicks in soon. 

3 comments:

  1. I had a plugged duct once but not full on mastitis. Either way not fun. Don't skip pumping again! It will help keep up your supply, both in your breasts and in your freezer. I hope you get better soon!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/common-problems/mastitis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing my best, Cheski, but it's hard to pump every 2-3 hours. I am such a deep sleeper that even with the stakes so high I have slept through my alarm twice. So frustrating to wake up and realize that I turned off the alarm in my sleep and I'm an hour or two over.

    I wake up when baby does, but otherwise I'm out. I'm taking a supplement called lecithin that's supposed to thin out your milk (?) and reduce likelihood of plugs. I also am not even sure if that was the cause as I had cracked nipples as well. All a learning experience! My fever went away yesterday - so very very grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Julianne sleeps for more than 3 hours at a time? Lucky duck. Looks like I have another Caden. Anyway, just pump more frequently during the day. Your body will adjust to different day/night schedules just as it would if Julianne were nursing. Not at first, mind you. In fact, you might get more engorged at night until your body realizes that it doesn't need to produce that much milk 24/7.

    ReplyDelete