Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Friday, December 6, 2013

Marshmallow Math: Early Math for Young Children

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1553953959/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1553953959&linkCode=as2&tag=ehow063-20
Marshmallow Math by Trevor Schindeler is right up my alley.  Straightforward techniques to teach math in a big picture, real world manner.

The book provides 50 suggestions for teaching mathematical concepts to young children, toddler age and up.
 ----------------------------------------------------
NOTE - I see no reason not to start verbalizing these practices with Julianne right now.  If I can read to her and to talk to her, I can count with her and present math concepts just as well.
-----------------------------------------------------
 These suggestions are easy to implement in a fun and every day manner.  The book is divided into 4 sections.

1.  counting, addition and subtraction
2.  sorting, telling time, spatial awareness, patterns, geometry, reading and writing numbers
3.  more addition and subtraction skills
4.  multiplication and division

We will probably be on counting for awhile. Unlike Doman style math, these strategies require little prep and are very easy to implement.  

I have just started the book and I already want to ship out copies to several of my students.  This is a no brainer for me.  By just changing our language a bit and presenting some opportunities, we can build up our children to have a solid foundation in math.

Math should be and can be fun. I feel very inspired.  Obviously, I am recommending this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1553953959/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1553953959&linkCode=as2&tag=ehow063-20


If this book isn't at your local library, you can get it on your kindle (or completely free kindle for PC program) for only three dollars.

If you want a physical copy of the book, Amazon has it new for $15.75.


I read the sample text on kindle for PC, but think I will purchase the hard copy to easily copy pages for my clients. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment