Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Quote/Passage 1
During stressful periods it can be tempting to skip a meal, push ourselves until we are totally exhausted, and generally ignore our basic needs. In the midst of crisis, taking time out for an Al-Anon meeting, a call to a Sponsor, or a breath of fresh air may seem like a waste of all-too-precious moments. There don't seem to be enough hours in a day, and something has to go. But are we choosing wisely?
At the very time we most need to take good care of ourselves, we are likely to do the opposite. If we decide that our needs are unimportant or that we're too busy, we sabotage our own best interests. In times of crisis, we need to be at our best. By making an extra effort to get nutritious food, sleep, Al-Anon support, relaxation, and quiet time with our Higher Power, we strengthen ourselves physically, emotionally, and spiritually. This can make a difficult situation a little easier.
Today's Reminder 
I am the only one who can make my well-being my top priority. I owe it to myself to pay attention to the needs of my body, mind, and spirit. 
"Putting 'First Things First' in troubled times often means finding whatever way I can to set aside my burdens, even if just for a moment, to make time for myself." . . . In All Our Affairs

Labels: crisis, self care, program tools

*When I left hubby to go to my moms for a few months, my sponsor told me that I should not do any decision making the day after.  She said to treat it like an emotional hang over.  Drink lots of water, rest and be kind to myself.  This type of thinking was completely novel to me.  I loved it though!  What a kind way to go through life!  I think taking a moment to call a recovery friend in crisis is something that I want to do much much more of.  One of the most beautiful things I've learned on this journey is not to go through the difficult parts of life alone.  By reaching out to a recovery friend you are likely helping them and yourself.  

Passage/Quote #2
It may be that the harsh words and accusations we use to whip the alcoholic for what he has done, or failed to do, leave no mark once the battle is over. But how can we tell? How can we risk hurting another person who is already so deeply wounded by his own guilt?
Does the voice of God have a chance to be heard over my angry shouting? What is the purpose of letting myself fly apart in reckless tantrums? To punish the drinker? To relieve my pent-up feelings?
Today's Reminder 
I cannot punish anyone with punishing myself. The release of my tensions, even if it seems justified, leaves dregs of bitterness behind. Unless I have deliberately decided that my relationship with my spouse has no further value in my life, I would do well to consider the long-range benefits of quiet acceptance in times of stress. 
"How shall you punish those whose remorse is already greater than their misdeeds?" (Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet)

labels: codependency


Sooo, yesterday.............. I had such great hopes for the day, but they kind of flopped.  I was so overwhelmed.  I asked Hubby to take J to OT Gym, skipped the pool and considered taking off work.  I really just wanted to lay in bed.  I wasn't quite sure what was overwhelming me, but I had a hunch it was a meeting with new clients to share the results of their students' assessments. I wasn't ready for the appt.  I wanted things typed up and printed and the day just seemed long.
When trying to get my head straight, I came across the THREE P's in Al Anon - Perfectionism, Procrastination and Paralysis.  It made perfect sense to me.  Despite being a fairly capable person, I have procrastinated to an extreme.  Part of this is because of a fixed mindset.  Fear of not being perfect results in me wanting to procrastinate.  At times, instead of facing the fact that I am imperfect, I get paralyzed.  That was yesterday - paralysis.  Well, I got myself to work and it went very well.  I will be able to help these students tremendously.  The parents are very eager to work with me and despite the fact that I did not have the presentation ready to my standards, it was ready enough for them.  I had the solution to their problem and I am excellent at getting student's results.  Grateful I went.  

Today is a much less stressful day.  Hubby is supposed to watch the kids and I have been struggling with trusting him lately.  However, I think part of that is my disease.  He has been very consistent lately.  I'm going to try to ready myself for this.

Speech therapy, pool and work.

Slogans - Let it begin with me, Live and let live,  Let go and let god, how important is it.  

Gratitude List
1) pretend play
2) almost walking babies
3) clean water
4) beautiful mountains
5) love


1 comments:

  1. Sounds like you managed the situation very well! The part you highlighted in the second quote really resonated with me because it directly relates to hubby's anger issues.

    ReplyDelete