Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Monday, September 5, 2016
It's so cute, L is sitting here with me.  Just wedged into the sofa.  It's rare that she isn't on the go, but I think she's tired too.  So, just cuddling while I type.  I love her sweet company.

Passage 1
ODAT
So much of what there is to learn in Al-Anon has to do with discovering myself -- the real person I am. One Greek philosopher said simply: "Know thyself" -- another: "We would have inward peace, but will not look within."
Complete self-knowledge is impossible, but the "looking within" will open our eyes to many possible improvements. It is difficult because we're afraid we won't like what we see, and we may have misgivings about being able to change ourselves. Yet what we may find when we look within may be quite a surprise package -- all those many good qualities tucked away under heavy layers of guilt.
Today's Reminder
Our greatest handicap is self-deception. We cannot recognize in ourselves the faults we criticize in others.
If I could only foresee what an inspiring experience it is to search out the real me, I would not hesitate. 

* What has been so valuable to me, is not only seeing myself as who I am, but making changes so that I am the person I want to be.  Making those two pictures align, is very nice, indeed.


Passage 2 - *****FAVORITE*****
When I began studying the Seventh Step, which says, "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings," my list of shortcomings included an extensive catalog of feelings. I humbly asked God to remove my anger, fear, and guilt. I looked forward to the day when I would never experience any of these emotions again.
Of course, that day never arrived. Instead, I have learned that feelings aren't shortcomings. The true nature of my problem was my stubborn refusal to acknowledge feelings, to accept them, and to let them go. I have very little power over what feelings arise, but what I choose to do about them is my responsibility.
Today I can accept my feelings, share about them with others, recognize that they are feelings, not facts, and then let them go. I'm no longer stuck in a state of seemingly endless rage or self-pity, for when I give myself permission to feel whatever I feel, the feelings pass. My emotions have not been removed; instead, I have been relieved of shortcomings that blocked my self-acceptance.
Today's Reminder
When I take the Seventh Step,
I pray that whatever interferes with my Higher Power's will for me may be removed. I don't have to have all the answers. I need only be willing.
"We didn't necessarily get the results we wanted, but somehow we always seemed to get what we needed." . . . In All Our Affairs

*Well, I just love this little passage.  What a gentle way to explain "feelings aren't facts."  It is just what I needed.  I feel like printing this out somewhere.  I think I'll make a favorites category, actually.  This is one that I need to read again and again and again.


Passage 3
HFT
The first slogans I heard were "Just for Today" and "One Day at a Time." I thought they applied to other people, not to me. It took Step Three work and faith in my Higher Power to become honest.
In Step Four I realized I was stuck in the past. My daily thoughts were usually about plans for the next day, week, or even month. I always anticipated tomorrow to the point where it became today. I'd get so caught up in what I was going to do that I often wasn't aware of what I was doing now.
After realizing this character defect and asking my Higher Power to remove it, each day I have is usually better than the one before. I give thanks for the little joys in each day. I still make plans, but I don't let my thoughts erase the present. Anticipation is sweet, but not at the cost of today.
When I look back on this in the context of alcoholism, I understand why I behaved as I did. With all the awful happenings at home, there were many todays I didn't want to experience. As a child I had limited options, so the best way to escape was to flee into the possibility of a better tomorrow. I have different choices now. I know enjoying my day and doing the right thing for myself and my Higher Power is the best plan for an even better tomorrow.
Thought for the Day
Just for today I choose to enjoy all this day has to offer. If I don't like the offering, I'll ask my Higher Power to help me adjust my attitude.
"I will keep always in mind that today is my sole concern, and that I will make it as good a day as I can." One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, p. 79

*What a fantastic description of working the program and "One Day at a Time."  I needed this this morning.

My mindset has shifted since beginning this daily exercise.  What fantastic passages.  I feel so much more in touch with the "now."  

I have realized that my body is telling me to rest today.  I have all the tell tale signs of a cold.  And despite feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do, I will focus on enjoying doing it. 

2 comments:

  1. For me, I would rewrite the first as, "Our greatest handicap is self-deception. We cannot recognize in ourselves the strengths we praise in others." I have no problem seeing my faults!

    I loved this: " Instead, I have learned that feelings aren't shortcomings."

    This definitely applied to me: "As a child I had limited options, so the best way to escape was to flee into the possibility of a better tomorrow." I'm learning how to choose differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I hope you got rest and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete