Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, September 3, 2016
Visit with mom went well.  I still need to work on not commenting on what she does!  I definitely try to take her inventory for her (which means I need to take my own inventory)....But, progress not perfection.

We are all caught up on rent and our schedules are pretty booked.  So, as predicted... everything did work out financially.  OF COURSE this is due to higher power and a huge mysterious check.

Matthew 6:26-34New International Version (NIV)

  1. 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
  2. 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
* One day at a time

Passage 1:
Before coming to Al-Anon, I had built a lifetime of dreams and promises that were reserved for that one special day called, "Someday." Someday I'll begin -- or end -- that project. Someday I'll call that friend with whom I've lost touch. Someday I'll let them know how I feel. Someday I'll be happy. I'm going to take that trip, find that job, speak my mind. Someday. Just wait and see.
Wait -- just as I waited for the alcoholic to come in from a binge, and for inspiration to bring interesting friends and career opportunities to my doorstep, and for everybody else to change. But Al-Anon has helped me to see that today can be the Someday I've always wanted. There isn't enough time in these twenty-four hours to do everything I've ever hoped to do, but there is time to start making my dreams come true. By asking my Higher Power for guidance and by taking some small step in the direction of my choice, I will be able to accomplish more than I would ever have thought possible.
Today's Reminder
Today I will not wait for a blue moon, a rainy day, the 366th day of the year, or Someday to accomplish good things in my life.
"Each indecision brings its own delays and days are lost lamenting over lost days . . .. What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I have played an active part in my life.  I haven't waited for "someday."  But.....this is encouraging to me as I embark on a new adventure and is timely.

ODAT
What's the Big Idea in Al-Anon? What's behind these assurances that I do have the power to improve the shape and texture of my life?
It is this: Look to yourself. What am I doing that creates difficulties for me, or aggravates the ones I have? Could it be that I'm trying to fix everything by finding fault with somebody else? In Al-Anon I am encouraged to examine my impulses, motives, actions and words. This helps me to correct the causes of my own unease and not blame it on others.

Today's Reminder
At first, the idea that we might be at fault isn't easy to accept. We find it hard to believe that our behavior isn't all it should be.
Once I overcome the habit of justifying everything I do, and make use of such tools as courtesy, tenderness and a warm interest in others, miracles will happen. This I know, because I have seen them happen to others who tried the Al-Anon way.
"If you cannot make yourself as would like to be, how can you expect to have another person exactly to your wishes? We want to see others perfect, yet our own faults go unattended." (Thomas A'Kempis -- paraphrased)

HFT
Recently I reacted to a situation. I started to get angry -- really angry. I felt like a victim. Thank goodness for all the meetings I've attended and for the slogans and phrases I've heard over and over. I've also heard that the word "anger" is just one letter short of "danger." I knew my anger was leading me in a hazardous direction.
In remembering this warning, my Al-Anon lessons came back to me and I switched quickly from anger to gratitude. I considered things I could be thankful for at that moment. From anger to gratitude is a huge leap that I could take only with Al-Anon's help. I sought the place in my heart where I could find peace and serenity and move toward acceptance. I took a spot-check inventory on anger. Then I was able to begin to accept the things I could not change.
In a matter of hours, I found myself in a safe place, the place Al-Anon has created within me. I realized that there was little I could change about the situation. All I could change was my response to it. As I continued to work through this, I grew even more aware of the potential danger to be found in anger, in both word and deed. That one-letter, one-second choice between working my anger or working my program meant the difference between creating a cavernous gap in my relationships and creating connections based on unity and harmony. I thank my Higher Power for gently repeating my healthy choices to me through the sharings I've heard at many Al-Anon meetings.
Thought for the Day
The value of regular attendance at Al-Anon meetings becomes evident when I least expect it but need it the most.
"One might think that reading the same Steps, Traditions, and prayers over and over at meetings would reduce their impact, but that is not true." The Forum, November 1999, p. 4

1 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is "Consider the Lilies" based on the scripture passage you shared. I recommend looking it up on YouTube.

    I'm trying to accept the someday can be today concept. I like the description "anger is one letter short of danger."

    ReplyDelete