Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Monday, October 31, 2016

Good Morning World

Good Morning World! 

It feels odd to say that while the sky is dark and my family is sleeping.  Yet, morning it is. 


I have been tempted to come on here and just kind of complain.  I don't want this to be a place for that though.  Here is my plan.  I'm going to do my passages, talk about gratitude and joy and then if I still want to complain go for it.  I have a feeling that I will not want to, after that.

Gratitude Quickie
1) Deep Cleaning
2) Halloween!
3) Health
4) My spunky baby girls
5) Church

PASSAGE 1
HFT

I grew up in a family where scorn, criticism, and teasing were everyday modes of communication. To cope, I developed the ability to hide my pain and confusion behind sarcasm and ridicule.

Making myself feel bigger and better by making fun of others never filled the emptiness I felt inside. Until I could trust myself and others enough to ask for help, I was stuck in a spiritual hole with no hope of getting out. I eventually grew tired of my sarcastic behavior, and I worked with my sponsor to explore the pain behind my harsh words and attitudes.

With the support of God and my friends in Al-Anon, I am now working the Steps on this particular problem. I have accepted that I am powerless over changing my behavior alone.
I now believe that a Power greater than myself can restore me to a more loving way of communicating if I'm willing to learn.
 

Finally, I have reached the point where I am ready to have this defect removed from me. With humility and self-forgiveness, I ask my Higher Power to do so.

 Sometimes I still find myself picking at the faults of others.
 

Old habits are hard to break. Now, however, with the help of the program, I can see more clearly when I'm falling back into this spiritually destructive pattern. I know I'm not perfect and I still have miles to travel down the path my Higher Power has carved out for me. Al-Anon gives me awareness and trust that I can break these old patterns one day at a time.

Thought for the Day
Just for today I will release any need to judge or criticize others and begin to see them in the same way I might want them to see me.
"I cannot hurt others without hurting myself." One Day at a Time in AI-Anon, p. 20




PASSAGE 2

CTC
So many of the choices I’ve made in my life have been reactions to fear. Something in my world changes: a loved one seeks sobriety, a friend is displeased with something I’ve said, I’m given a new task at work, the grocery store runs out of chicken – and inside I panic. I‘m attacked by thoughts of disaster. I imagine failure, torment, agony. And then I act. I do something rash or fruitless in order to put a bandage on the situation, because the one thing I most fear is being afraid.

Fear can become a power greater than myself. I may not be able to fix it or make it go away. But today, with a Higher Power who is greater than my fears, I don’t have to let them run my life or make my choices for me. I can grab hold of my Higher Power’s hand, face my fears, and move through them.

Today’s Reminder
Al-Anon is a program in which we find spiritual solutions to the things we are powerless to change. Today, instead of seeking relief from fear by trying to do battle with it, I will turn to my Higher Power.


“That the Birds of worry and care fly above your head, this you cannot change. But that they build nests in your hair, this you can prevent.“ Chinese Proverb




JOY - Reading for fun.  It makes me feel alive!



Update: I don't want to complain, but my body does feel extremely tired.  I may try to listen to my body and sleep some more.

1 comments:

  1. Love this: "Al-Anon gives me awareness and trust that I can break these old patterns one day at a time."

    I can relate to this: "So many of the choices I’ve made in my life have been reactions to fear. . . . the one thing I most fear is being afraid." Like Harry Potter and the dementors. I need to remember this: "But today, with a Higher Power who is greater than my fears, I don’t have to let them run my life or make my choices for me. I can grab hold of my Higher Power’s hand, face my fears, and move through them." Still struggling with application, but at least I'm healing my view of God.

    ReplyDelete