Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, October 1, 2016
So, I met my new therapist yesterday (if we end up being a good match).  It was pretty much an intake, but it was even helpful, just laying everything out.  I feel that I learned a lot, even just when laying things out for her.  


Passage 1
ODAT
In Al-Anon, we often speak of the importance of prayer. This idea calls for some reflection. If I could get what I pray for, would it really make me happy? Do I always know what is best for me? Do I bargain with the God I pray to, (“I want my spouse, but only if he or she will stop drinking,”) or give Him instructions, (“Please don’t let Bill keep on drinking.”)

TODAY’S REMINDER
One thing must ultimately be accepted: Few of us know what we really want, and none of us knows what is best for us. That knowledge remains, in spite of all our determined resistance, in the hands of God.

This is the reason for limiting our prayers to requests for guidance, an open mind to receive it, and the fortitude to act upon it.  I will quietly defer any decisions until my contact with God has made me certain they are right for me. And I will pray to be kept from taking any action, even a little one, that is intended to punish another.

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights with Whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (General Epistle of James)






Passage 2
CTC
Suddenly I am aware of thoughts racing and crashing through my mind at an alarming speed – memories, broken promises, fears about the future, failed expectations of both myself and other people. This is a familiar chaos and one that I can now recognize. it is a signal that my life has, for the time being, become unmanageable.

At such a time, serenity is often just a phone call away. A simple acknowledgement of the chaos immediately diminishes it. I step back, step outside the madness, and all at once it washes away or scatters in all the myriad directions from which it came. The pieces of my chaos return to their proper places, where I can either leave them alone or choose to confront them one at a time.

Today’s Reminder
If problems arise today, I will try to acknowledge them — and then put a little spiritual space between my problems and myself. If I can share about them with another person, I will further diminish their power. Recognizing that my life is unmanageable is the first step toward managing it.
“. . . When we bring things out into the light, they lose their power over us.” . . . In All Our Affairs

 **Absolutely love this!!!  Just calling a program person and saying, "my life is feeling a little unmanageable and I want to take my mind off of it.  What's up with you!"  Love that!

Awareness. Acceptance. Action





Passage 3
HFT
I spend most of my time at Al-Anon meetings engaging in a very important activity -- listening. Part of what I do when I listen is described in our slogan "Listen and Learn." By listening, I learn about the program. I learn about alcoholism, how others apply the Steps and Traditions, and I learn that practice of the Al-Anon principles allows me to achieve a degree of serenity.

By listening at an Al-Anon meeting, however, I do more than learn, I may borrow experience, strength, and hope from fellow members, but I also lend my own dash of detachment, acceptance, and understanding. I join with others in forging the bond of unity that helps us heal. I strive to contribute to the unconditional acceptance that invites our Higher Power to join us.

Thought for the Day
An important part of what I give to my fellow Al-Anons is my willingness to listen.
"Al-Anon's slogan, 'Listen and Learn' reminds us that if we have the self-discipline to be quiet and pay attention to others' words, we can learn a tremendous amount about ourselves and our world." How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics, p. 99

**I love the idea of using self-discipline when listening! 

1 comments:

  1. The first passage rings true for me. Such an important part of trusting God. Some days I totally feel, "Thy will be done! I know you won't lead me to an unhappy ending." But most days it's more like, "Um, I don't know if I believe you. This is hard. I don't want to do this any longer. Are you sure this will lead to happiness, because it sure doesn't seem like it." Gee, just writing that out made me emotional. I hope your therapist works out! How can you tell if it's a good match or not?

    ReplyDelete