Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, October 27, 2016
So, I gave in today and put on a show for the girls so I could write. I've been wanting to limit screen time to a half hour at night, but alas.

Unfortunately, L is still in my lap, playing with my credit cards.  I really don't know a good way to entertain the kids while doing this.  Suggestions welcome.


ANYWAYS........

I want to start out with a quick gratitude list...

1) grateful for a new sponsor who calls me "darling"
2) grateful for my late Grandma
3) grateful for the women's group tonight
4) grateful for playdates
5) grateful for fun Halloween celebrations (I'm so excited for Monday!)

Gratitude lists are so darn fun! 


Ok, passages

ODAT

When we try to absorb too much too quickly in Al-Anon, we may be discouraged and fail to continue with the program. But let us consider that philosophers throughout the ages spent their whole lives in contemplating such truths and, since our busy lives leave us little time for meditation and study, we would be wise to take it slowly, concentrating on one idea at a time.

TODAY’S REMINDER
I will select a single thought from one of the Twelve Steps, or a phrase from my Al-Anon reading, and try to apply it each day. This will give me a little nugget of security on which I can add other concepts as I need them. In this process, we find an important application of our slogan Easy Does It.


I will not try to grasp the whole program at once, lest I become distracted and confused. I will remind myself that the only vital thing is to apply what I have learned – to make it work for me in all the happenings of my daily life.


“If I learn nothing more in Al-Anon than to keep hands off what is not truly my business, this alone will lighten and brighten my life.”


**Yep!  I get all over the place.  I can take pride in the fact that I'm gentle with myself.  I love the idea of applying one phrase at a time.  



PASSAGE 2
CTC

One sweltering summer day, I sought escape from the heat at a nearby beach. Lying there with my lemonade, I looked at all the people soaking up the sun. No matter how many people were on the beach, there would be enough sun for everyone. I realized that the same was true of God’s love and guidance. No matter how many people seek God’s help, there is always enough to go around. To someone who believed that there was never enough time, money, love, or anything else, this was amazing news!

This awareness was tested at an Al-Anon meeting when someone spoke about his Higher Power with a personal love and intensity that matched my own. I felt as if his intimacy with God would leave less love for me. But I think that the opposite is true. I often feel closest to God when I hear others share about how well a Higher Power has taken care of them. Today I try to remember that there is enough love for us all.

Today’s Reminder
I may not have everything I want, but today I have everything I need. I will look for evidence of abundance and let it remind me that my Higher Power’s love is broad enough to touch all who have the courage to place themselves in its presence..
“I can learn to avail myself of the immense, inexhaustible power of God, if I am willing to be continually conscious of God’s nearness.“ One Day at a Time in Al-Anon






PASSAGE 3

HFT

I never realized how much my self-esteem disappeared while I was growing up with alcoholism. As a carefree child I possessed self-worth, but it slowly became buried and dormant as I dealt with this family disease. 

When I came to Al-Anon, it took all aspects of the program to rebuild my sense of worthiness. At meetings I had the right to pass if I wanted, yet I gradually found my voice to speak my mind and heart. I asked someone to be my sponsor and then called her for help. I found a God of my understanding and learned that I had choices and could make good decisions on my own. Little by little, all of these things helped me rediscover my self-esteem.

To keep what I had received, it was suggested that I give it away. Therefore I continued to fortify my self-respect through service. I started by setting up chairs and making coffee. Eventually I chaired meetings, became a sponsor, and served as secretary, alternate group representative, and group representative. As I retained my self-worth by doing service work, I learned the Steps and Traditions through action.

The results of my hard work have been a sense of autonomy, self-esteem, and gratitude. Those qualities keep me open to the gifts God offers me through my relationships with others. They give me strength and courage to maintain the relationships already in my life. They also help me to be open to new connections, which used to frighten me. Thank you, Al-Anon, for offering me the loving support and guidance through which I have regained the self-esteem I lost so many years ago.

Thought for the Day
I will take time each day to nurture my new-found self-esteem.
"Today, when faced with choices, I will opt for the path that enhances my self-esteem." Courage to Change, p. 118
 

1 comments:

  1. All wonderful passages as usual! The first one was a much-needed reminder. Thank you.

    I love the sunlight analogy. I first heard that only a few years ago when a woman was explaining how we can all feel the Holy Ghost. It finally made sense to me!

    I agree that service is so helpful in building self-esteem and purpose and fighting loneliness and depression.

    No suggestion for the kids. Mine are even worse! Lol

    ReplyDelete