Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, November 5, 2016


It seems like so long ago when I was last looking at this.  I think it was before I was pregnant with J, but was either TTC or thinking of TTC soon.  I was trying to figure out how to best take care of my future child.

I revisit this again, 3+ years later, as a much more humble individual.  When I looked at it before, I thought I had it all together.  Now, I know that I do not.

I am not planning for a child I haven't even conceived yet.......  I am desperately trying to assess what is most important to provide to my kids and myself............. because my resources are so stretched.

In my life group we were challenged to identify needs......  I believe I've been trying to focus on self actualization, when my basic needs are not being met.  I want to explore this.  I don't believe it is as simple as climbing a ladder, yet I also don't think the foundation should or can be ignored for long, without everything falling down.  (and it's late and I'm tired, so this may not make sense in future readings).




Physiological: breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, excretion

While this may sound like basic self care.  I neglect this and I'm not alone.  There are some biggies here.  FOOD, WATER, SLEEP, HOMEOSTASIS, SEX

Food - is my diet giving me what I need?
Water - Am I drinking the right amount of water for me?
Sleep - Am I getting sleep?
Homeostasis - what exactly do they mean by homeostasis?

I just grabbed this from a google search, but here is what it says.....

"Homeostasis refers to the ability of the body or a cell to seek and maintain a condition of equilibrium or stability within its internal environment when dealing with external changes."

**Stability within its internal environment when dealing with external changes??? Doesn't that sound a lot like serenity, or what I'd like from recovery? 

 It is involved in the maintenance of the constant internal environment which includes the function of kidney, liver, skin, etc.  In humans, homeostasis happens when the body regulates body temperature in an effort to maintain an internal temperature around 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. For example, we sweat to cool off during the hot summer days, and we shiver to produce heat during the cold winter season.

**How do I maintain emotional homeostasis?  What do I do to keep my serenity on "hot" or "cold" days?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is where I get confused.  It seems like a lot of the self actualization tools (especially relying on higher power) provides the tools and self discipline for this level of self care.  At the same time, it is, of course, much easier to work on more complex areas of life when these basic levels are met. 

Yet, I struggle personally with meeting each of these categories: Food, water, sleep and homeostasis.  I have been focusing on the top of the pyramid, while I wonder if the foundation should come first.  My gut says, "Yes!" 

Food, Water, Sleep and Homeostasis (which means higher power and program tools). 

I think I'm going to drink a glass of water and go to sleep, based on this blog post.  More later. 

1 comments: