Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, December 7, 2016
I checked in with my friend's instagram before writing this morning, and saw this perfect quote.....

"I hate to spoil the ending, but everything is going to be ok." 





I love that so much!  And it's something I'd love to say to myself as an affirmation.  And it's also my Grandma's attitude in life. 



Today, I am especially grateful for the INTERNET!!  There was an interruption in our area last night and I really did miss it!  And it's one of the reasons I didn't get to blog online.  We were laughing about our dependence on it.  It would be a good idea to limit my use.

Anyways............. still very grateful!


PASSAGE 1
ODAT
These words, long thought to have been dated 1692 and found, so the legend goes, in a Baltimore churchyard, were actually the inspiring work of a modern Terre Haute, Indiana poet named Max Ehrmann, and dated 1927. Its apt title: Desiderata.

 “Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they, too, have their story.”

TODAY’S REMINDER
Like our Serenity Prayer, repeating these phrases each morning could establish our mood for that day – and make the day a good one. It could serve as a reminder that we must watch the quality of our own department, and as we learn in Al-Anon, everything depends on that!
“I will not let my inner peace be disturbed by the confusions around me. I will be gentle and tolerant, while maintaining my right to my individuality. I will listen and appreciate, and not judge the source of what I hear.”


**Recording affirmations has been on my to-do list for awhile.  The hypnobabies affirmations were so helpful to me during pregnancies.  I do affirmations with my daughters and students.  I should make the investment in myself to record and listen to them for me.  





PASSAGE2
CTC
I used to think that being good to myself was eating whatever I want, buying anything that caught my eye, sleeping only a few hours a night, and avoiding any activity that wasn't fun and exciting. The trouble was that the consequences were very uncomfortable, and when I let myself think about it, I felt I was wasting my life.

Today, being good to myself is far more challenging, but the benefits are absolutely wonderful! I attend two or three Al-Anon meetings each week, read my literature daily, and take time out to talk to God. I try very hard to make my serenity more important than any of the circumstances I encounter.

I now enjoy wholesome food, exercise in a way that I find fun, and handle money in a more conscientious way. I celebrate my growth. I dance, I draw, and I enjoy wonderful friendships. My lifestyle isn't rigid, nor would I want it to be. I still enjoy spontaneous moments, but today I have them by choice.

Today's Reminder
I deserve to make choices that let me feel good about myself. It may take a while to see resolved, but I am building a life that promotes my health and self-esteem. It's worth the wait.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." George Eliott
 
**I really enjoyed this.  It also made me think of the phrase, "How important is it?"  Is it worth my serenity?  I think just like when you are trying to avoid overeating or drinking alcohol or etc., you need to put abstinence as #1.  And in my world it is serenity.  I need to put serenity FIRST.  I need to remember and evaluate, "Is it more important than my serenity?"  "Is it worth it?"  
 
On another note, I've been thinking lately about how playing chase with my kids is my favorite form of exercise.  I think I want to put it in our schedule as a regular activity.  My exercise, plus quality time with them.  Great match!  It's also excellent prep for 5ks and gets them active and running around too.  (don't always need help with that, but it makes it a priority)
 
 
 
 
 
 
PASSAGE 3
HFT
The little family of deer living in our nearby woods was absent for weeks.  While sipping tea at the kitchen table on the morning of my birthday, I suddenly spied the deer grazing leisurely in the yard. They had appeared silently, gently, when I least expected it.

That deer’s soft, dark eyes were a wonder. Their cautious movements showed me they had mustered enough courage to find nourishment in our sparse winter landscape. I wanted to reach out and stroke their downy heads, and touch their gray and tan fur. Instead, I sat quietly and watched while this tender birthday gift from my Higher Power filled me with delight, reminding me once again of how much I am loved.

Serenity is the sure knowledge of my Higher Power's unconditional love for me. It is an acceptance of myself that flows from God's approving embrace. Today I know I am worthy. I was created both a give and receive joy. I am unique and special in my ordinary humanness.

Thought for the Day
Today I will remember to rest in the beauty of God's care and concern for me. When I do, the priceless gift of serenity is mine to open and enjoy.
"Once we have begun to experience serenity, we realize that Al-Anon is not just a program where sick people get well, but a way of living that is rewarding in itself." From Survival to Recovery, pp. 150-151
 
 
 
 

1 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved the quote! I would love to have a copy of your recorded affirmations if you do it. I would much rather hear your voice than mine. My boys love playing chase too! I really loved the definition of serenity as described in passage 3. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete