Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
I have had a lot of things on my mind lately.  So much, that I've been hesitant to write for fear of not having the time.

But, today, I simply want to do my daily meditations.  And I am grateful for this!

********One thing though.  Walking at the beach has been a bit life saving.  #newselfcare

Passage 1
ODAT
One of the most inspiring and encouraging things that happens at Al-Anon meetings is an expression of heartfelt gratitude from a member. For those who are hopeless and despairing, such a message as this gives a foretaste of lightened burdens:
“Life begins to make a great deal of sense to me since I came to Al-Anon. The world is beginning to reveal its beauty which for a long time was obscured by my worrying over my troubles. I am learning to deal with them now, and what makes it easier is that I deal only with the problems that are mine. I am learning I cannot carry another’s burdens, no matter how much I love him.”
TODAY’S REMINDER
One of Al-Anon’s important fringe benefits is that it increases my awareness of the world around me, so I can see and enjoy it. This alone helps to dim the difficulties I had been concentrating on, creating my own misery.
“After a time in Al-Anon, we discover we are acquiring a sense of reality which is absolutely essential to serenity.”

I've noticed that my most effective self care is getting out in nature.  Like this passage said," [it] helps to dim the difficulties I had been concentrating on, creating my own misery"  It also is a conduit to accessing higher power.  
And while I haven't been "carrying" another's problems.  I've been still using my mom (who is really doing great, by the way) to detract from  my own issues.  I would much rather use higher power to do that.

Moving on...........



Passage 2
CTC
We talk a great deal about working the steps the program. Actually what we do is to practice what we’re learning. It’s like studying a second language. A student reads books and attends classes, but this only gave him technical knowledge. To be able to use the language he must be around those who speak and understand it. He practices listening and speaking while continuing to read. If he stays with it, in time it will become a lifelong skill.
So it is with many of us. We begin with little knowledge and many misconceptions. We go to meetings, learn about alcoholism, and study al-Anon literature. But to actually be able to use this knowledge takes time, patience, and effort. We spend time around people who speak the Al-Anon language, especially those who are making a strong commitment to practicing Al-Anon’s principles in their own lives. We continue to listen, to read, to learn. In this way the Al-Anon way of life sinks in until it becomes second nature. Then, because we are constantly changing, we have opportunities to learn and practice some more.
Today’s Reminder
If I want to become skillful at applying the al-Anon program to my life, I need to do more than go to an occasional meeting. I must make a commitment and practice, practice, practice.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence , then, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Great analogy!  Makes perfect sense to someone who has struggled to learn Spanish for a LONG time.  


Passage 3
HFT
Certainly I have periods of tremendous enthusiasm for the Al-Anon program. During those times I feel alive, eager, and receptive to growth. However, I also experience periods of complacency during which I am close-minded, self-satisfied, and lacking in progress. I tell myself that to some extent this is probably normal; life is composed of mountains, valleys, and plateaus. However, when my complacency gets out of hand, it interferes with the quality of my recovery.
I can't achieve the degree of health I want by using yesterday's program. I've found that if I'm not moving forward, I don't just stand still; I go backwards. I forget that the tools of the program have worked for me before and start to think I can manage my life on my own. That's when my will and my life become insane.
I once heard a speaker say if we don't grow, we get so uncomfortable that we stop going to meetings. The verbs "continued", "sought", "tried," and "practice" in Steps Ten through Twelve sound suspiciously like work to me. These words indicate that I need to persist in going to meetings, even when I don't feel like it. However, they also offer reward for the effort--a renewal of my enthusiasm for life and a regeneration of my spirit.
Thought for the Day
The best way for me to stay moving and growing is to keep attending Al-Anon meetings.
"Complacency . . . is rarely listed among the major human faults, yet it can hinder us in every form of personal growth." One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, p. 197

Love!  And obviously written for me.  :)

1 comments:

  1. I love walking on the beach too! I'm glad it's helping you. I totally concentrate on my own difficulties and create my own misery. I can learn something from Elsa: let it go! Lol.

    I absolutely love passage 2! Such a wonderful explanation. And I've been struggling to learn Spanish for a lot longer! ;P

    I can relate to this part of passage 3: "I forget that the tools of the program have worked for me before and start to think I can manage my life on my own. That's when my will and my life become insane." I totally agree that complacency is an underestimated danger.

    ReplyDelete