Copyright © Living with Confidence
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, March 4, 2017
Woke up at 4am, on accident.  And am grateful to have time to blog on my readings.  

ODAT
I will not be dismayed if life doesn't run smoothly, even when I am confident the active phase of alcoholism is past and we are each developing our lives in the Twelve Step program. I in Al-Anon, my spouse in AA. Although our many upheavals and disagreements may have made a rift between us, we can now look forward to a new life as a contended family unit.
I must still guard against impatience, lapses into feeling sorry for myself, resenting the words and actions of others. Above all, I must not permit myself that tormenting excursions into the bitter past. But now that I am alert to the danger signals, I know I am improving day by day.
Today's Reminder
I will start each day with prayers of gratitude that so much has been accomplished. I know that my Higher Power will continue to provide His light of wisdom in my striving or serenity.
"Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun." (Ecclesiastes)

LOVE this!!!!!

1)  I am grateful for J's preschool
2)  I am grateful for the beach
3)  I am grateful to have a home over our heads
4)  I am grateful for options
5)  I am grateful for an education.
6)  I am grateful for good health!!

CTC
The slogan, "Think" always puzzled me. Wasn't it my "stinking thinking" that got me into trouble? The meaning of this slogan remained a mystery until I heard a neighbor's child reciting some safety rules he'd learned in school: Stop, Look, and Listen.
Before I get into trouble, before I open my mouth to react, or get lost in obsessive analysis of another person's behavior, or worrying about the future, I can Stop. Then I can Look at what is going on and my role in it. Then I can Listen for spiritual guidance that will remind me of my options and help me find healthy words and actions.
So when something unkind is said to me, I don't automatically have to get into a loud and vicious argument. Instead, I can take a moment to "Think." I can Stop, Look, and Listen. Then I might be able to engage calmly in discussion or simply walk away. If I do choose to enter the argument, at least I am now making this decision consciously, rather than letting life decide for me.
Today's Reminder
This day is a beautiful room that's never been seen before. Let me cherish the seconds, minutes, and hours I spend here. Help me to think before I speak and pray before I act.
The program helps me gain the freedom to make wise choices that are good for me. I choose to put that freedom to work in my life today." Alateen--a day at a time

Grateful for this passage, as I get overwhelmed by housing stuff.  Very nice to not be in charge.




HFT
I had been a member of the program for several years when I was invited to attend an Al-Anon adult child meeting that was struggling to get started. I told the members I was a friend of an alcoholic, not a child of one. They told me I was welcome.
I was amazed at what I learned that night. I wondered how they found out my secret characteristics so quickly. How could I have so many traits of an adult child when neither of my parents ever drank? I continued to attend the meetings in spite of my confusion because I got something there I couldn't get anywhere else.
More than a year later, I mentioned to my mother that I was attending the adult child meetings although there was no direct alcoholism in our family. At that time she revealed the family secret that had been kept from me for more than 40 years. Her father--my grandfather--had been an oilfield worker and a fighting drunk who was jailed at every town where he worked.
My grandmother had been the wife of an alcoholic, and Mom was the child of an alcoholic. Suddenly everything made sense. I finally understood why I acted as I did. I was a grandchild of an alcoholic and the daughter of an adult child! The effects of the disease of alcoholism had been handed down in my family from generation to generation, but no one before me had received the loving help of Al-Anon. Thanks to my Higher Power, I found a program. Now I can start passing down recovery instead of disease.
Thought for the Day
In recovery sometimes I get answers even before my heart knows it has a question.
"When we go to enough meetings, we will hear someone tell a story that sounds amazingly like our own--our comfort level increases." Al-Anon is for Men, p. 4

1 comments:

  1. I like the "Stop, look, and listen" reminder. Very easy to remember. I also liked this from the last passage: "Now I can start passing down recovery instead of disease."

    ReplyDelete